Harry Still Top Wizard at the Box-Office
The Prisoner of Azkaban took in $35.1 million for the weekend, easily snagging the top spot at the box office.
Also still going strong: DreamWorks' month-old Shrek 2, which has earned $354 million, making it the top-grossing animated movie ever, surpassing the $339.7 million gross of rival Disney's Finding Nemo.
The intergalactic saga The Chronicles of Riddick, starring Vin Diesel, debuted at No. 2, despite the beating it took from critics. And with low expectations having greeted the new comic take on The Stepford Wives, starring Nicole Kidman and Bette Midler, the movie did better than anticipated.
Even the fat-cat comedy Garfield: The Movie, featuring Bill Murray's voice, fared well, signaling a sizzling summer ahead.
The weekend's Top 10 movies, according to estimates, were as follows:
1. Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban, $35.1 million
2. The Chronicles of Riddick, $24.6 million
3. Shrek 2, $24 million
4. The Stepford Wives, $22.2 million
5. Garfield: The Movie, $21.7 million
6. The Day After Tomorrow, $14.55 million
7. Raising Helen, $3.8 million
8. Troy, $3.5 million
9. Saved! $2.55 million
10. Mean Girls, $1.5 million