Plug Pulled on On-Air With Ryan Seacrest
After more than 20 stations across the country announced earlier this week that they were going to stop showing the low-rated On-Air With Ryan Seacrest, the series was officially put to sleep by its distributor on Tuesday.
"It was our desire that the program would appeal to a wide array of viewers, but unfortunately, the marketplace's response was not as strong as we had hoped," said the show's FOX-owned distributor, Twentieth Television, reports Reuters.
In a statement, Seacrest said: "I wouldn't have changed anything about this entire experience."
He might have wanted to change the ratings. Since its premiere last January, On-Air averaged an unimpressive 0.9 household rating in the week ending July 18, according to Nielsen Media Research.
On-Air, which tapes at a specially built multi-million-dollar studio in Hollywood, will cease production on Thursday but will continue to air until Sept. 17 with a mix of new episodes and reruns, the distributor's statement said.
Only a month ago there were reports circulating that On-Air was about to be picked up for a second season – despite the fact that in late June a handful of lower-level staffers exited the show before its scheduled production hiatus in early August. Those departures reportedly did not affect production on the remaining weeks of the current season.
Despite the turn of events, don't think this is the end of the American Idol host's extra-curricular career.
The 29-year-old boyish bachelor still has a contract with Twentieth TV for possibly another series, and his job is secure on the primetime FOX talent hunt, which is set to kick off its fourth season come January.
Los Angeles commuters can also hear him do his thing as a morning drive-time jock on KIIS-FM.