Shyamalan's Village Enjoys Killer Opening
The Village star Bryce Dallas Howard
Despite scary reviews, M. Night Shyamalan delivered a much-needed hit to Disney this weekend, as his No. 1 movie, The Village, had a bonanza opening with $50.8 million, according to studio estimates.
The Village, with Joaquin Phoenix, Adrien Brody and Bryce Dallas Howard, took the top position away from last week's champ, The Bourne Supremacy, starring a James Bond-esque Matt Damon, which slipped to No. 2. Even so, it's a solid hit, having made an estimated $98 million in 10 days.
The remake of the political thriller The Manchurian Candidate, with Denzel Washington, Liev Schreiber and Meryl Streep, came in at a distant No. 3 with $20.2 million.
As for the flops: the new comedy Harold & Kumar Go to White Castle and the sci-fi Thunderbirds probably won't be around long.
The weekend's Top 10, according to studio estimates, were as follows:
1. The Village, $50.8 million
2. The Bourne Supremacy, $23.4 million
3. The Manchurian Candidate, $20.2 million
4. I, Robot, $10.05 million
5. Spider-Man 2, $8.5 million
6. Catwoman, $6.1 million
7. Harold & Kumar Go to White Castle, $5.15 million
8. A Cinderella Story, $4.7 million
9 (tie). Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgundy, $3.1 million
9 (tie). Fahrenheit 9/11, $3.1 million
On Newsstands Now
- Lupita Nyong'o: Most Beautiful!
- Chelsea Clinton is Pregnant!
- Exclusive Royal Tour Diary
Pick up your copy on newsstands
Click here for instant access to the Digital Magazine