Alleged Zeta-Jones Stalker Makes Love Claim
09/14/2004 AT 09:00 AM EDT
Prosecutors are trying to show Knight, 33, threatened Zeta-Jones because she had a fatal attraction on Douglas. Knight, who last week was ruled mentally competent to stand trial (following a barbiturate overdose in jail), has pleaded not guilty and remains behind bars with bail set at $1 million while a preliminary hearing determines if she will stand trial. She was arrested June 3 at her Beverly Hills home.
Knight also suggested that Douglas paid her to keep quiet. On the witness stand, asked why she had $2,600 cash on her at the time of her arrest, Knight reportedly replied: "I'm not here to ruin anybody's marriage and (Douglas is) married."
On Friday, a sheriff detective testified that death threats phoned into Zeta-Jones at a hotel were linked to Knight. Detective Rodney Wagner, citing phone bills, said Knight had made the calls.
In two of the calls, made on May 18 and 19, the caller told a receptionist, "We know she is in the hotel. We are going to kill her," Wagner testified. The caller reportedly mentioned Michael Douglas by name. Wagner also testified that in a third call, on May 21, the caller threatened to "blow Catherine's head off on Sunday in Monte Carlo."