R. Kelly Kicked Off Jay-Z Tour
There appears to be no peace between Jay-Z and R. Kelly, as Kelly's lawyers reportedly are threatening to file a criminal complaint against a member of Jay-Z's entourage after the singer was hit with pepper spray during their show at Madison Square Garden.
The platinum-selling stars' joint 40-city Best of Both Worlds tour came to an abrupt end on Saturday during the concert, the Associated Press reports.
The promoter of the show fired the "I Believe I Can Fly" singer, 37, at New York's Madison Square Garden after a member of Jay-Z's entourage allegedly blasted Kelly with a noxious pepper spray, said his publicist, Allan Mayer. Kelly walked out of the show, claiming he had seen two audience members brandishing guns. Security guards, having swept the hall, denied the claim.
Jana Fleishman, publicist for Jay-Z, said the rapper's entourage knew nothing about the incident because it occurred while Jay-Z was performing. Jay-Z "did not attack R. Kelly in any way, shape or form," Fleishman tells AP.
Following the incident, the promoter, Jeff Sharp of Atlanta Worldwide Touring, announced that Jay-Z, 33, would headline the show alone, with some special guests. The Kelly-Jay-Z tour had been scheduled to run through Nov. 28
Said Kelly in a statement: "The fans deserve better than this. I'd like the show to go on. It's really disappointing that Jay-Z and the promoter don't."
Meanwhile, Jay-Z and Kelly's joint album, "Unfinished Business," is set to debut on the Billboard charts this week at No. 1.