Gellar Helps Hold Grudge at Box Office
Former Buffy the Vampire Slayer star Sarah Michelle Gellar showed her box-office teeth for the second weekend running, with her horror flick The Grudge retaining the No. 1 spot, according to studio estimates.
So far, the supernatural thriller set in Japan – which reportedly cost only $10 million to produce – has raked in about $71.3 million over 10 days, despite formidable competition with the debut Friday of the Ray Charles bio, Ray, which is certain to garner a Best Actor Oscar nomination for its star, Jamie Foxx.
But Ray came in second, sandwiched between The Grudge and another horror tale Saw, about a serial killer.
In limited release, the controversial Birth, starring Nicole Kidman, had only a so-so debut and finished at No. 11, reports the Associated Press.
The weekend's Top 10, according to studio estimates, were as follows:
1. The Grudge, $22.4 million
2. Ray, $20.1 million
3. Saw, $17.4 million
4. Shark Tale, $8 million
5. Shall We Dance? $6.3 million
6. Friday Night Lights, $4.1 million
7. Ladder 49, $3.3 million
8. Team America: World Police, $3.1 million
9. Surviving Christmas, $2.6 million
10. Taxi, $2.15 million
On Newsstands Now
- Amy Robach: 'I'm Lucky to Be Alive'
- Paul Walker: Inside His Tragic Death
- Julia Roberts: Choosing Family Over Hollywood
Pick up your copy on newsstands
Click here for instant access to the Digital Magazine