Photo SpecialA Village of Hope
In the African nation of Malawi, families toil in fields as malaria, tuberculosis and other diseases go untreated. But hope is within reach: The Millennium Promise, a philanthropy run by Dr. Jeffrey Sachs and supported by Angelina Jolie, is working with 60 villages (so far) to make them healthily self-sufficient through such simple tools as schools, seeds and clean drinking water. Here is what PEOPLE reporter Mary Green saw in the village of Mwandana.
Credit: Ron Haviv/VII
Updated: Friday Mar 03, 2006 | 06:00 AM EST
More from PEOPLE
- Serena Williams on Body-Shamers: 'I Have Grand Slams to Win'
- Read the Cover Story: Meet the American Heroes Who Stopped French Train Attack
- FROM EW: MTV's Scream to Pay Tribute to Wes Craven
- Rob Kardashian Looks Slimmer in First Selfie He's Posted in Years Since 100-Lb. Weight Gain
- Amal Clooney Speaks Out After Egyptian Al-Jazeera Conviction: The Verdict 'Sends a Very Dangerous Message'