Photo SpecialA Village of Hope
In the African nation of Malawi, families toil in fields as malaria, tuberculosis and other diseases go untreated. But hope is within reach: The Millennium Promise, a philanthropy run by Dr. Jeffrey Sachs and supported by Angelina Jolie, is working with 60 villages (so far) to make them healthily self-sufficient through such simple tools as schools, seeds and clean drinking water. Here is what PEOPLE reporter Mary Green saw in the village of Mwandana.
Credit: Ron Haviv/VII
Updated: Friday Mar 03, 2006 | 06:00 AM EST
More from PEOPLE
- Bill Cosby Drops Breach-of-Contract Lawsuit Against Sex Assault Accuser Andrea Constand
- Read the Cover Story: George Turns 3: The Preschool Prince!
- WATCH: Nathan Sykes Surprised by Adorable Pikachu Onstage at PEOPLE Now Concert
- Find Out What Joe Jonas Has to Say About Exes Taylor, Demi and Gigi on WWHL's Plead the Fifth!
- Melanie Griffith on Being 'Introspective' and 'Totally Curious' About Her New Path in Life