Photo SpecialA Village of Hope
In the African nation of Malawi, families toil in fields as malaria, tuberculosis and other diseases go untreated. But hope is within reach: The Millennium Promise, a philanthropy run by Dr. Jeffrey Sachs and supported by Angelina Jolie, is working with 60 villages (so far) to make them healthily self-sufficient through such simple tools as schools, seeds and clean drinking water. Here is what PEOPLE reporter Mary Green saw in the village of Mwandana.
Credit: Ron Haviv/VII
Updated: Friday Mar 03, 2006 | 06:00 AM EST
More from PEOPLE
- Who Was Bryce Dejean-Jones? 5 Things To Know About New Orleans Pelicans Player Killed at Age 23
- Read the Cover Story: Steve Harvey: From Homeless to Having It All
- Sparkly, Stackable Rings for a Price You Won't Believe
- Kesha Thanks 'Trustworthy and Loyal' Friends, Warns Fans to 'Weed the Shady' People from Their Lives 'Before They Bite'
- The Bathroom Item That Kept 11-Month-Old Prince Nicolas Quiet During the Royal Christening