Photo SpecialA Village of Hope
In the African nation of Malawi, families toil in fields as malaria, tuberculosis and other diseases go untreated. But hope is within reach: The Millennium Promise, a philanthropy run by Dr. Jeffrey Sachs and supported by Angelina Jolie, is working with 60 villages (so far) to make them healthily self-sufficient through such simple tools as schools, seeds and clean drinking water. Here is what PEOPLE reporter Mary Green saw in the village of Mwandana.
Credit: Ron Haviv/VII
Updated: Friday Mar 03, 2006 | 06:00 AM EST
More from PEOPLE
- Toni Braxton and Rapper Birdman Put Love on Display at the BET Awards
- Read the Cover Story: Matthew McConaughey: Love, Family & What I've Learned
- FROM EW: Game of Thrones' Lena Headey Dishes on Those Finale Twists
- Game of Thrones Star on Explosive Finale Death: I Was the Victim of 'Incompetence'
- Scott Disick Misses His Family with Kourtney Kardashian: 'I Just Want Her to See I Can Keep It Together'