Photo SpecialA Village of Hope
In the African nation of Malawi, families toil in fields as malaria, tuberculosis and other diseases go untreated. But hope is within reach: The Millennium Promise, a philanthropy run by Dr. Jeffrey Sachs and supported by Angelina Jolie, is working with 60 villages (so far) to make them healthily self-sufficient through such simple tools as schools, seeds and clean drinking water. Here is what PEOPLE reporter Mary Green saw in the village of Mwandana.
Credit: Ron Haviv/VII
Updated: Friday Mar 03, 2006 | 06:00 AM EST
More from PEOPLE
- How Are Fans Reacting to One Direction's Surprise Single?
- Read the Cover Story: The Bachelorette's Kaitlyn and Shawn 'It Was Love At First Sight!'
- FROM EW: The Walking Dead Cast Reveals Who Would Die First in a Real Zombie Apocalypse
- Which Bachelor in Paradise Star Is the Most Flirtatious?
- Whitney Cummings Shows Off 25-Lb. Weight Gain in Topless Instagram Photo