Photo SpecialA Village of Hope
In the African nation of Malawi, families toil in fields as malaria, tuberculosis and other diseases go untreated. But hope is within reach: The Millennium Promise, a philanthropy run by Dr. Jeffrey Sachs and supported by Angelina Jolie, is working with 60 villages (so far) to make them healthily self-sufficient through such simple tools as schools, seeds and clean drinking water. Here is what PEOPLE reporter Mary Green saw in the village of Mwandana.
Credit: Ron Haviv/VII
Updated: Friday Mar 03, 2006 | 06:00 AM EST
More from PEOPLE
- Jada Pinkett Smith: The Secret Behind Her Sensational Body
- Read the Cover Story: Growing Up Kennedy!
Exclusive Family Photos from White House Nanny
- How Princess Charlotte's Christening Gown Was Painstakingly (Re)Made
- Ed Sheeran Wears a Red Coat to Taylor Swift's Fourth of July Party Because 'He Can't Let It Go'
- Inside Ben Affleck's Past Romances with Jennifer Lopez and Gwyneth Paltrow: What Went Wrong?