Photo SpecialA Village of Hope
In the African nation of Malawi, families toil in fields as malaria, tuberculosis and other diseases go untreated. But hope is within reach: The Millennium Promise, a philanthropy run by Dr. Jeffrey Sachs and supported by Angelina Jolie, is working with 60 villages (so far) to make them healthily self-sufficient through such simple tools as schools, seeds and clean drinking water. Here is what PEOPLE reporter Mary Green saw in the village of Mwandana.
Credit: Ron Haviv/VII
Updated: Friday Mar 03, 2006 | 06:00 AM EST
More from PEOPLE
- Find Out Why Earl Charles Spencer Says His Grandfather Is 'Rolling in His Grave' at Althorp
- Read the Cover Story: Mystery in Idaho: Little Boy Lost
- Jaime King, Emma Roberts and More Stars Are Here to Help Kick Off Your (Affordable) Fourth of July Shopping Spree!
- Going Platinum! Lauren Conrad and Ashley Tisdale Are Suddenly Oh-So-Blonde
- Surviving Father in Fatal Texas Triple Shooting Breaks His Silence With Facebook Posts