Photo SpecialA Village of Hope
In the African nation of Malawi, families toil in fields as malaria, tuberculosis and other diseases go untreated. But hope is within reach: The Millennium Promise, a philanthropy run by Dr. Jeffrey Sachs and supported by Angelina Jolie, is working with 60 villages (so far) to make them healthily self-sufficient through such simple tools as schools, seeds and clean drinking water. Here is what PEOPLE reporter Mary Green saw in the village of Mwandana.
Credit: Ron Haviv/VII
Updated: Friday Mar 03, 2006 | 06:00 AM EST
More from PEOPLE
- David Beckham's Gift Picks
- Read the Cover Story: Adele’s Triumphant Return: How Love Changed Her Life
- Kelly Clarkson Shares Adorable Snap of River Rose 'Meditating'
- VIDEO: Britney Spears Spins Around to Adele's 'Hello': 'I Could Dance to This Song a Million Times'
- Willow Shields on How Jennifer Lawrence Went from Her 'Big Sister' to 'Best Friend' on The Hunger Games