Photo SpecialA Village of Hope
In the African nation of Malawi, families toil in fields as malaria, tuberculosis and other diseases go untreated. But hope is within reach: The Millennium Promise, a philanthropy run by Dr. Jeffrey Sachs and supported by Angelina Jolie, is working with 60 villages (so far) to make them healthily self-sufficient through such simple tools as schools, seeds and clean drinking water. Here is what PEOPLE reporter Mary Green saw in the village of Mwandana.
Credit: Ron Haviv/VII
Updated: Friday Mar 03, 2006 | 06:00 AM EST
More from PEOPLE
- Drew Peterson Admitted to Killing His Missing Wife Stacy Peterson, Inmate Testifies
- Read the Cover Story: Céline Dion: 'I Lost the Love of My Life'
- Jake Pavelka Wasn't the Only Repeat on Last Night's Bachelorette: Guess Which Celeb Wore Jojo's Dress First
- Strong's Gabrielle Reece Had to Work for Her Healthy Body Image
- Kick Off Memorial Day Weekend & Elevate Your Puzzler Skills with PEOPLE Games