Photo SpecialA Village of Hope
In the African nation of Malawi, families toil in fields as malaria, tuberculosis and other diseases go untreated. But hope is within reach: The Millennium Promise, a philanthropy run by Dr. Jeffrey Sachs and supported by Angelina Jolie, is working with 60 villages (so far) to make them healthily self-sufficient through such simple tools as schools, seeds and clean drinking water. Here is what PEOPLE reporter Mary Green saw in the village of Mwandana.
Credit: Ron Haviv/VII
Updated: Friday Mar 03, 2006 | 06:00 AM EST
More from PEOPLE
- Johnny Depp Steps Out with His Kids in L.A.: He 'Really Missed' Them, Says Source
- Read the Cover Story: Mystery in Idaho: Little Boy Lost
- WATCH: With Which Famous Actor Did RHONY's Countess LuAnn de Lesseps Share a Kiss?
- Tight Top, Mom Jeans: 30 Years of the Supermodel Uniform Remaining the Same
- Lo Bosworth on Her Glam Beauty Look on The Hills: 'We Did All of Our Own Makeup Ourselves'