Photo SpecialA Village of Hope
In the African nation of Malawi, families toil in fields as malaria, tuberculosis and other diseases go untreated. But hope is within reach: The Millennium Promise, a philanthropy run by Dr. Jeffrey Sachs and supported by Angelina Jolie, is working with 60 villages (so far) to make them healthily self-sufficient through such simple tools as schools, seeds and clean drinking water. Here is what PEOPLE reporter Mary Green saw in the village of Mwandana.
Credit: Ron Haviv/VII
Updated: Friday Mar 03, 2006 | 06:00 AM EST
More from PEOPLE
- Family of Murder Victim of Bernie Tiede, Once Subject of Hollywood Movie, Thankful After 'Known Con Man' Is Re-Sentenced to Life
- Read the Cover Story: Prince, 1958-2016
- Jay Z Looks Really Relaxed in Miami: He's Got 99 Problems but Lemonade Ain't One!
- WATCH: Sexual Abuse Survivor Helps Addicts Heal Through Equine Therapy: 'Your Story Can Save Someone's Life'
- Meet the Poet Who Inspired Beyoncé's Lemonade