Photo SpecialA Village of Hope
In the African nation of Malawi, families toil in fields as malaria, tuberculosis and other diseases go untreated. But hope is within reach: The Millennium Promise, a philanthropy run by Dr. Jeffrey Sachs and supported by Angelina Jolie, is working with 60 villages (so far) to make them healthily self-sufficient through such simple tools as schools, seeds and clean drinking water. Here is what PEOPLE reporter Mary Green saw in the village of Mwandana.
Credit: Ron Haviv/VII
Updated: Friday Mar 03, 2006 | 06:00 AM EST
More from PEOPLE
- Meet the Country's No. 1 Geography Wiz Kid!
- VIDEO: Jennifer Aniston Gets (Nearly) Naked as a Stripper in We're the Millers
- FIRST LOOK: Phineas and Ferb Mash-Up Taylor Swift's 'I Knew You Were Trouble'
- Heroes Among Us: Ohio Man Helps WWII Vets Fulfill Dream – Seeing Their Memorial
- Jessica Chastain: Wearing Elizabeth Taylor's Jewels Was 'A Little Scary!'