Photo SpecialA Village of Hope
In the African nation of Malawi, families toil in fields as malaria, tuberculosis and other diseases go untreated. But hope is within reach: The Millennium Promise, a philanthropy run by Dr. Jeffrey Sachs and supported by Angelina Jolie, is working with 60 villages (so far) to make them healthily self-sufficient through such simple tools as schools, seeds and clean drinking water. Here is what PEOPLE reporter Mary Green saw in the village of Mwandana.
Credit: Ron Haviv/VII
Updated: Friday Mar 03, 2006 | 06:00 AM EST
More from PEOPLE
- Princess Kate and Prince William Headed to Scotland – with the Kids!
- The Best Photos from the Week of August 24- August 30, 2015
- Wow! Khloé Kardashian Flaunts Her Tiny Midsection in Waist-Training Selfie (Photo)
- These Floating Pearl Earrings Are Serious Multitaskers
- This Isn't About Pity:' Model Shaun Ross's Experience Helping Tanzanian Refugees with Albinism