Photo SpecialA Village of Hope
In the African nation of Malawi, families toil in fields as malaria, tuberculosis and other diseases go untreated. But hope is within reach: The Millennium Promise, a philanthropy run by Dr. Jeffrey Sachs and supported by Angelina Jolie, is working with 60 villages (so far) to make them healthily self-sufficient through such simple tools as schools, seeds and clean drinking water. Here is what PEOPLE reporter Mary Green saw in the village of Mwandana.
Credit: Ron Haviv/VII
Updated: Friday Mar 03, 2006 | 06:00 AM EST
More from PEOPLE
- WATCH: 'Hide Away' Singer Daya Explains How She Managed Pop Stardom with High School
- Read the Cover Story: George Turns 3: The Preschool Prince!
- As Tim Kaine Prepares for the Speech of His Life at DNC, Here Are 5 Things to Know About Hillary Clinton's Running Mate
- Rocking the Vote: Every Time the KarJenners Have Chimed in on Political Issues
- No Second Honeymoon for Ben Affleck and Jennifer Garner: 'They Are 100% Still Separated,' Says Source