Photo SpecialA Village of Hope
In the African nation of Malawi, families toil in fields as malaria, tuberculosis and other diseases go untreated. But hope is within reach: The Millennium Promise, a philanthropy run by Dr. Jeffrey Sachs and supported by Angelina Jolie, is working with 60 villages (so far) to make them healthily self-sufficient through such simple tools as schools, seeds and clean drinking water. Here is what PEOPLE reporter Mary Green saw in the village of Mwandana.
Credit: Ron Haviv/VII
Updated: Friday Mar 03, 2006 | 06:00 AM EST
More from PEOPLE
- WATCH: Find Out If John Krasinski Ever Snooped on an Ex!
- Read the Cover Story: The Gosselins 10 Years Later: 'So Much Has Changed'
- See the Unique Antique Engagement Ring Home and Family Star Mark Steines Gave Julie Freyermuth
- Stunned Minnesota Community Mourns 5-Year-Old Abducted and Strangled: 'We Just Want to Know Why'
- In Love – But Very Tired! Megan Fox and Brian Austin Green's Life with Newborn Son Journey