Photo SpecialA Village of Hope
In the African nation of Malawi, families toil in fields as malaria, tuberculosis and other diseases go untreated. But hope is within reach: The Millennium Promise, a philanthropy run by Dr. Jeffrey Sachs and supported by Angelina Jolie, is working with 60 villages (so far) to make them healthily self-sufficient through such simple tools as schools, seeds and clean drinking water. Here is what PEOPLE reporter Mary Green saw in the village of Mwandana.
Credit: Ron Haviv/VII
Updated: Friday Mar 03, 2006 | 06:00 AM EST
More from PEOPLE
- How Brad Helped Angelina Heal
- Jessica Chastain Wears Elizabeth Taylor's Jewels to Cannes Cleopatra Screening
- Alexandra Raisman Found Her Dancing Elimination 'Heartbreaking'
- Alexander Skarsgard Is a 'Meat and Beer' Kind of Guy at Dinner in N.Y.C.
- The Voice Pays Tribute to Oklahoma, Eliminates Two Singers