Photo SpecialA Village of Hope
In the African nation of Malawi, families toil in fields as malaria, tuberculosis and other diseases go untreated. But hope is within reach: The Millennium Promise, a philanthropy run by Dr. Jeffrey Sachs and supported by Angelina Jolie, is working with 60 villages (so far) to make them healthily self-sufficient through such simple tools as schools, seeds and clean drinking water. Here is what PEOPLE reporter Mary Green saw in the village of Mwandana.
Credit: Ron Haviv/VII
Updated: Friday Mar 03, 2006 | 06:00 AM EST
More from PEOPLE
- Minnesota Dentist Who Killed Cecil the Lion Has Contacted U.S. Authorities
- The Style Top 5: Reese Witherspoon Channels Elle Woods,
Steal the Styles from Wet Hot American Summer and More
- Schoolteacher Killed by Distracted Driver While Biking Cross-Country for Charity: Officials
- Radio DeeJay Elvis Duran: Loud, Proud and Happier Than Ever!
- Celebrate DOGust 1st with North Shore Animal League America and PEOPLE