Photo SpecialA Village of Hope
In the African nation of Malawi, families toil in fields as malaria, tuberculosis and other diseases go untreated. But hope is within reach: The Millennium Promise, a philanthropy run by Dr. Jeffrey Sachs and supported by Angelina Jolie, is working with 60 villages (so far) to make them healthily self-sufficient through such simple tools as schools, seeds and clean drinking water. Here is what PEOPLE reporter Mary Green saw in the village of Mwandana.
Credit: Ron Haviv/VII
Updated: Friday Mar 03, 2006 | 06:00 AM EST
More from PEOPLE
- Vanessa Hudgens Opens Up About Losing Her Father and Leaning on Her Grease Family: 'Nothing Can Prepare You for Losing a Parent'
- Read the Cover Story: Prince Harry: Finding My Purpose
- Meet the Grandma of Twitter
- Here's Where You Can Get Free Comics for Free Comic Book Day
- This is the Instagram Trio to Follow for Pet-Sleepover FOMO