Photo SpecialA Village of Hope
In the African nation of Malawi, families toil in fields as malaria, tuberculosis and other diseases go untreated. But hope is within reach: The Millennium Promise, a philanthropy run by Dr. Jeffrey Sachs and supported by Angelina Jolie, is working with 60 villages (so far) to make them healthily self-sufficient through such simple tools as schools, seeds and clean drinking water. Here is what PEOPLE reporter Mary Green saw in the village of Mwandana.
Credit: Ron Haviv/VII
Updated: Friday Mar 03, 2006 | 06:00 AM EST
More from PEOPLE
- Find Out How Orlando Bloom Inspired Part of Katy Perry's DNC Speech
- Read the Cover Story: George Turns 3: The Preschool Prince!
- Serena Williams Shares Sexy Bikini Snapchats
- Bristol Palin Reveals She Took Her Son Tripp Shooting in Instagram Post: 'Teaching Them Young'
- WATCH: DWTS Champ Nyle DiMarco Reads to Deaf Kids in 'Adorable' Video