Photo SpecialA Village of Hope
In the African nation of Malawi, families toil in fields as malaria, tuberculosis and other diseases go untreated. But hope is within reach: The Millennium Promise, a philanthropy run by Dr. Jeffrey Sachs and supported by Angelina Jolie, is working with 60 villages (so far) to make them healthily self-sufficient through such simple tools as schools, seeds and clean drinking water. Here is what PEOPLE reporter Mary Green saw in the village of Mwandana.
Credit: Ron Haviv/VII
Updated: Friday Mar 03, 2006 | 06:00 AM EST
More from PEOPLE
- Justin Bieber Performs "What Do You Mean" for The First Time
- Read the Cover Story: Meet the American Heroes Who Stopped French Train Attack
- Kourtney's Plunging Pink Jumpsuit! Kylie's Sexy Wig! The Kardashian-Jenner Krew Goes Glam as Usual at VMAs
- What Was That About? Nicki Minaj Confronts Miley Cyrus on MTV VMA Stage
- The Weeknd Gets Taylor and Kanye Dancing at the VMAs While Performing 'I Can't Feel My Face'