Photo SpecialA Village of Hope
In the African nation of Malawi, families toil in fields as malaria, tuberculosis and other diseases go untreated. But hope is within reach: The Millennium Promise, a philanthropy run by Dr. Jeffrey Sachs and supported by Angelina Jolie, is working with 60 villages (so far) to make them healthily self-sufficient through such simple tools as schools, seeds and clean drinking water. Here is what PEOPLE reporter Mary Green saw in the village of Mwandana.
Credit: Ron Haviv/VII
Updated: Friday Mar 03, 2006 | 06:00 AM EST
More from PEOPLE
- Teen Dies in High-Speed Car Chase 2 Years After Receiving Controversial Heart Transplant
- Read the Cover Story: Avril Lavigne Opens Up About Her Secret Health Crisis
- Barely Famous Sneak Peek: Courteney Cox Steals Erin Foster's Socks
- Gwyneth Paltrow and Chris Martin Spend Family Spring Break Together
- Robert Pattinson and FKA twigs Are Engaged!