Photo SpecialA Village of Hope
In the African nation of Malawi, families toil in fields as malaria, tuberculosis and other diseases go untreated. But hope is within reach: The Millennium Promise, a philanthropy run by Dr. Jeffrey Sachs and supported by Angelina Jolie, is working with 60 villages (so far) to make them healthily self-sufficient through such simple tools as schools, seeds and clean drinking water. Here is what PEOPLE reporter Mary Green saw in the village of Mwandana.
Credit: Ron Haviv/VII
Updated: Friday Mar 03, 2006 | 06:00 AM EST
More from PEOPLE
- LeBron James, Gregg Popovich and NFL Teams React to Colin Kaepernick's National Anthem Protests
- Read the Cover Story: Brad & Angelina Split After 12 Years: It's Over
- Dateline Turns 25! See Which Celebs Are Obsessed with the Show
- North Carolina Parents Fight to Find a Cure for Their Baby Girl's Rare Disease: 'We Want Her to Have a Future'
- Melania Trump's $2,645 Presidential Debate Dress Is a Fashion Faceoff!