Photo SpecialA Village of Hope
In the African nation of Malawi, families toil in fields as malaria, tuberculosis and other diseases go untreated. But hope is within reach: The Millennium Promise, a philanthropy run by Dr. Jeffrey Sachs and supported by Angelina Jolie, is working with 60 villages (so far) to make them healthily self-sufficient through such simple tools as schools, seeds and clean drinking water. Here is what PEOPLE reporter Mary Green saw in the village of Mwandana.
Credit: Ron Haviv/VII
Updated: Friday Mar 03, 2006 | 06:00 AM EST
More from PEOPLE
- Mini Totes Are Having a Major Style Moment
- Read the Cover Story: Amy Duggar King: I'm Doing It My Way
- Missing Cat Found 16 Months Later in Nearby Pet Food Warehouse: 'I Can't Believe He's So Porky'
- Gorgeous Couple Penélope Cruz and Javier Bardem Have a Black-tie Date Night at Goya Cinema Awards
- VIDEO: Chaz Bono Opens Up to Oprah Winfrey About How Body Dysphoria Stalled His 75-Lb. Weight Loss