Photo SpecialA Village of Hope
In the African nation of Malawi, families toil in fields as malaria, tuberculosis and other diseases go untreated. But hope is within reach: The Millennium Promise, a philanthropy run by Dr. Jeffrey Sachs and supported by Angelina Jolie, is working with 60 villages (so far) to make them healthily self-sufficient through such simple tools as schools, seeds and clean drinking water. Here is what PEOPLE reporter Mary Green saw in the village of Mwandana.
Credit: Ron Haviv/VII
Updated: Friday Mar 03, 2006 | 06:00 AM EST
More from PEOPLE
- President Will Smith? Actor Hints at Possible Political Career: 'I Think That There Might Be a Future out There for Me'
- Read the Cover Story: Adele’s Triumphant Return: How Love Changed Her Life
- Snoop Dogg Hands Out Turkeys to the Needy in Inglewood: Everyone Should Have a 'Nice Meal for Thanksgiving'
- Sofia Vergara and Joe Manganiello's Stunning Five-Tiered Cake, Plus 30 More of Our Favorite Celebrity Wedding Cakes (PHOTOS)
- You'll Never Guess the 5 Things Brett Eldredge Is Most Thankful for This Year!