Photo SpecialPrince Harry in Africa
A week after a tabloid columnist branded him "a national disgrace" for his club-hopping ways, Britain's Prince Harry, 19, showed there was more to his life than polo and parties by unveiling his charity work in Lesotho, Africa. Sporting a new 80-cent haircut from a roadside barber, Princess Diana's younger son followed in his mother's footsteps, visiting clinics, helping to build a bridge and embracing locals – including an 11-month-old rape victim. "I have seen some genuine shock and horror on his face," says Lesotho's Prince Seeiso. PEOPLE was there to capture a day with Prince Harry among the impoverished country's orphans.
Credit: (2) Landov
Updated: Saturday Apr 03, 2004 | 01:00 AM EST
More from PEOPLE
- Nicole Kidman on Marrying Tom Cruise at Age 23: 'I Look Back Now and I'm Like, "What?" '
- Read the Cover Story: Brad & Angelina Split After 12 Years: It's Over
- WATCH: First Lady Michelle Obama Says She's 'Straight Up Nailing' Her Job on Resume in College Humor Skit
- Refugee Killed by California Police Allegedly Drew Vape Device During 'Mental Emergency'
- Golden Girls Kim and Kourtney Kardashian Wow In Second Barely-There Balmain Outfits