08:34 PM EDT 07/30/2014
Originally posted 08/11/2013 12:00PM
After a massive six-day manhunt that eventually reached into the Idaho wilderness, Hannah Anderson was found safe on Saturday after allegedly being abducted by James Lee DiMaggio.
DiMaggio, who was killed during an arrest attempt by an FBI tactical agent, is suspected of killing Hannah's mother, 44-year-old Christina Anderson, and 8-year-old brother, Ethan Anderson. Hannah's grandmother (and Christina's mother) Sara Britt tells PEOPLE that finding the teen was "exactly what we hoped and prayed for."
Originally posted 08/06/2013 02:00PM
Californians received the first-ever statewide cell phone Amber alert Monday night after a San Diego-area man allegedly abducted a 16-year-old girl and her 8-year-old brother.
James Lee DiMaggio, 40, is also suspected of burning down a house where firefighters recovered the body of the children's mother, Christina Anderson, 44, as well as the body of a child whose remains have not yet been identified and the remains of a dog.
San Diego County Sheriff's officials alerted that DiMaggio was suspected of murdering Anderson. They said he might be driving Hannah and Ethan Anderson in a blue, 2013 Nissan Versa, with California license plate 6WCU986, towards Texas or Canada.
Originally posted 07/26/2013 11:10AM
A Cleveland man accused of holding three women captive in his home for about a decade has agreed to plead guilty in a deal to avoid the death penalty.
Ariel Castro entered the new plea Friday. In exchange, prosecutors said the 53-year-old Castro would be sentenced to life without parole plus 1,000 years.
Castro had been charged in a 977-count indictment.
Originally posted 06/12/2013 09:45AM
A man accused of holding Amanda Berry, Gina DeJesus and Michelle Knight captive in his Cleveland home for about a decade pleaded not guilty Wednesday to hundreds of charges, including rape and kidnapping.
Ariel Castro is charged with kidnapping the three women and keeping them – sometimes restrained in chains – along with a 6-year-old girl he fathered with one of the women.
Castro, 52, didn't speak during the arraignment, which lasted less than a minute. He stood motionless, dressed in an orange prison outfit, and looked toward the floor as the plea was entered.
Originally posted 05/17/2013 01:00PM
Though each was young and vulnerable, all three of Ariel Castro's alleged kidnap victims came armed with strengths that would help them endure the years of horror ahead.
Gina DeJesus, 14, had the buoyancy and affection of a well-loved child who knew that home and family were worth fighting for. Strong-willed Amanda Berry, 16, was, to her family, “the glue that kept everyone calm," says childhood friend Lisha Jacome, who lived briefly in the Berry home.
A frequent babysitter for her sister's two daughters, Berry had child-care skills when she bore Castro's child in 2007. For that birth Castro designated his oldest captive, Michelle Knight, as midwife – and threatened to kill her if the baby died. The mother of a 2-year-old son when she was kidnapped at age 21, Knight not only had experienced childbirth, she had helped perform a delivery of the family dog's puppies as a kid.
Originally posted 05/13/2013 03:30PM
To those who have heard her story, Amanda Berry is the girl who disappeared at age 16 on April 21, 2003. She's the girl who was held captive with two others near downtown Cleveland for about 10 years until she miraculously escaped last week, proclaiming, "I'm free now."
But who was she before she vanished and was held captive in the home of alleged kidnapper Ariel Castro?
Her cousin, Tina Miller, tells PEOPLE about a girl with Eminem posters hanging in her bedroom and dreams of being a fashion designer. She's Mandy. She's hyper-organized, close to her nieces and she loved the movie 8 Mile and its star, Eminem.
Originally posted 05/11/2013 10:05AM
Is there anything more comforting than Mom's meatloaf?
After a decade-long nightmare as a prisoner inside the home of alleged kidnapper Ariel Castro, Gina DeJesus, 23, is now focusing on the simple things and the healing comforts of home.
"Gina wants to go back to school, get her driver's license and get a haircut," says Matt Zone, a Cleveland city councilman, who has spent time with the DeJesus family in the days since Gina came home. "She wants to learn to put on makeup, all those girly things. It's the simple things – those are the things that are the most precious to her."
Gina's parents, Nancy Ruiz and Felix DeJesus, are doing everything they can to help her heal from the kidnapping ordeal she went through alongside Amanda Berry and Michelle Knight – including preparing Gina's favorite home cooked meal. "Gina told me all she wanted me to do was make my meatloaf for her," Ruiz told Councilman Zone. "Nancy said, 'I'm making my baby some meatloaf.' "
Originally posted 05/08/2013 06:00PM
A Cleveland man arrested after three women missing for a decade were found alive at his home was charged Wednesday with kidnapping and raping them. Prosecutors brought no charges against his brothers, saying there was no evidence they had any part in the crime.
Ariel Castro, 52, was charged with four counts of kidnapping – covering all three captives and the daughter born to one of them while she was held – and three counts of rape against the three women. The former school bus driver owns the peeling, run-down home where the women were rescued on Monday, after one of them broke through a screen door.
Originally posted 05/08/2013 12:05PM
Amanda Berry's brave escape led police to discover a house of horrors where Gina DeJesus and Michelle Knight were also being held captive for 10 years.
On Wednesday, the 27-year-old mother returned home.
As a motorcade approached Berry's home around 11:35 a.m. ET, Berry and her 6-year-old daughter entered the house through a back door accompanied by family members as neighbors clapped and cheered in a swell of emotion.
Berry's sister, Beth Serrano, addressed the crowd shortly after:
Originally posted 04/25/2012 09:35AM
Missing Madeleine McCann may still be alive, according to British detectives leading the investigation, who revealed Wednesday that they are pursuing "promising" new lines of inquiry.
According to Detective Chief Inspector Andy Redwood, who's heading a team of 35 officers, after combing through nearly 100,000 pages of evidence, they hope to persuade Portuguese authorities to reopen the case.
Redwood says they are about one quarter of the way through and, so far, have discovered, "some other very promising lines of inquiry – which is very good for the future."
Top 10 News Categories
The most buzzed about stars this minute!
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
More On PEOPLE.com
Got a News Tip?
Send it to our People.com editors!