02:48 AM EDT 08/24/2014

Add PEOPLE News

War

Credit: Jerry Sowden/The Derrick/AP
The U.S. Government Just Tried to Draft 14,000 Men ... Born in the 1800s

UpdatePosted 07/11/2014 04:15PM

The U.S. Government Just Tried to Draft 14,000 Men ... Born in the 1800s

Originally posted 07/11/2014 02:40PM

No, the United States isn't trying to build a military force of centenarians.

It just seems that way after the Selective Service System mistakenly sent notices to more than 14,000 Pennsylvania men born between 1893 and 1897, ordering them to register for the nation's military draft and warning that failure to do so is "punishable by a fine and imprisonment."

The agency realized the error when it began receiving calls from bewildered relatives last week.

Chuck Huey, 73, of Kingston, said he got a notice addressed to his late grandfather Bert Huey, a World War I veteran who was born in 1894 and died in 1995 at age 100.

Read More

Filed Under: War, Around the Web
Credit: Nick Ut/AP
'Napalm Girl' Photographer, 42 Years Later: 'Never in My Life Have I Seen What I Saw'

Nick Ut on His 'Napalm Girl' Photograph, 42 Years Later: 'Never in My Life Have I Seen What I Saw'

Originally posted 06/08/2014 10:30AM

Even 42 years later, Nick Ut can still remember June 8, 1972: The day he took the photo that changed his life.

"It was on Highway 1 by the Cambodian border," he told PEOPLE recently. When he took the photo, Ut was a young photographer with the Associated Press, covering the war that was destroying his native country.

On the morning of June 8, Ut saw a group of refugees traveling down the highway. The South Vietnamese army had been fighting the Viet Cong outside the villages there, and the people living in the area were forced to flee.

Ut was on the scene when South Vietnamese planes, thinking the refugees were Viet Cong, started bombing them.

"There were a lot of people dead – a lot of children," he recalls. He was about to turn back when he saw the final plane drop its bombs.

Read More

Filed Under: Vietnam, Photography, War
Credit: Dado Ruvic/Reuters/Landov
Sochi's Future? See Sarajevo's Olympic Ruins 30 Years Later

UpdatePosted 02/24/2014 08:30PM

Sochi's Future? See Sarajevo's Olympic Ruins 30 Years Later

Originally posted 02/24/2014 02:00PM

Images of run-down Olympics venues are so ubiquitous that they've become their own genre of "ruin porn."

But no Olympic sites posses the tragic history of those built for the 1984 Winter Games in Sarajevo, the first Winter Olympics ever held in a communist country. Less than a decade after hosting the Games, the city was besieged by Bosnian Serb forces for three years at the height of the Bosnian War. An estimated 10,000 civilians died during the siege, and the venues of the Olympic park were transformed into scenes of heavy fighting.

Read More

From Our Partners