12:58 PM EDT 11/06/2013
Originally posted 11/04/2013 10:20PM
Originally posted 10/10/2013 01:00PM
Cleveland kidnapper Ariel Castro may have died from auto-erotic asphyxiation, not suicide, and two prison guards falsified logs documenting their observation of him in the hours before he died, the state said Thursday.
Castro's pants and underwear were pulled down to his ankles when he was found, leading the state to forward those facts to the state highway patrol to consider the possibility of auto-erotic asphyxiation, according to the report from the Ohio Department of Rehabilitation and Correction.
The report suggests – but does not conclude – that Castro may have died as the result of auto-erotic asphyxiation, whereby individuals achieve sexual satisfaction by briefly choking themselves into unconsciousness.
Originally posted 09/04/2013 12:30AM
The man who held three women captive in his home for nearly a decade before one escaped has been found dead and is believed to have committed suicide, a prison official said.
Ariel Castro, 53, was found hanging in his cell around 9:20 p.m. Tuesday at the Correctional Reception Center in Orient, a community located south of Columbus in central Ohio, JoEllen Smith, Department of Rehabilitation and Correction spokesman, said early Wednesday.
Prison medical staff performed CPR before Castro was transported to a hospital, where he was pronounced dead at 10:52 p.m.
Originally posted 08/07/2013 08:45AM
The Cleveland house of horrors where convicted kidnapper Ariel Castro kept three women captive for a decade went under the bulldozer Wednesday morning.
And there to watch it fall: survivor Michelle Knight, carrying a bouquet of yellow balloons in a symbolic moment of triumph now that she and the other survivors, Amanda Berry and Gina DeJesus, move forward to reclaim their lives.
The razing occurs less than a week after Castro, 53, was sentenced to life in prison plus 1,000 years.
Originally posted 08/01/2013 09:30AM
When Amanda Berry gave birth to her daughter on Dec. 25, 2006, the baby was not breathing. Ariel Castro, whose DNA proved he was the baby's father, turned to Michelle Knight and threatened to kill her if she didn't save the baby. According to new court documents, Michelle breathed into the baby's mouth and "miraculously, the baby survived."
And during Ariel Castro's hearing on Thursday, she proved to be a hero again when she delivered a powerful victim impact statement.
"I cried every night. I was so alone. I worried about what would happen to me and the other girls every day. Days never got shorter. Days turned into nights, nights turned into days. The years turned into eternity. I knew nobody cared about me. He told me that my family didn't care," Knight explained through tears. "Nobody should ever have to go through what I went through."
Originally posted 07/26/2013 11:10AM
A Cleveland man accused of holding three women captive in his home for about a decade has agreed to plead guilty in a deal to avoid the death penalty.
Ariel Castro entered the new plea Friday. In exchange, prosecutors said the 53-year-old Castro would be sentenced to life without parole plus 1,000 years.
Castro had been charged in a 977-count indictment.
Originally posted 07/10/2013 08:00AM
When Amanda Berry, Gina DeJesus and Michelle Knight reunited July 2 to record a video thanking supporters, they could not hold back their emotions.
"They cried and hugged. They have genuine happiness to be alive, to be out there, to just BE," Chris Kelly, the lawyer managing the Cleveland Courage Fund on behalf of the women, says in this week's PEOPLE.
In the video that posted Tuesday on YouTube, they thank family, friends and complete strangers for the outpouring of support they've received since escaping alleged kidnapper Ariel Castro after a decade in captivity. Castro has pleaded not guilty to 329 counts including 139 charges of rape.
Originally posted 07/09/2013 06:00AM
Originally posted 06/12/2013 09:45AM
A man accused of holding Amanda Berry, Gina DeJesus and Michelle Knight captive in his Cleveland home for about a decade pleaded not guilty Wednesday to hundreds of charges, including rape and kidnapping.
Ariel Castro is charged with kidnapping the three women and keeping them – sometimes restrained in chains – along with a 6-year-old girl he fathered with one of the women.
Castro, 52, didn't speak during the arraignment, which lasted less than a minute. He stood motionless, dressed in an orange prison outfit, and looked toward the floor as the plea was entered.
Originally posted 06/07/2013 06:45PM
A man accused of holding three women captive in his home for a decade has been indicted on 329 charges including kidnapping, rape and murder for allegedly causing an abortion.
A Cuyahoga County, Ohio, grand jury returned the indictment Friday against Ariel Castro, a former school bus driver fired last fall.
"Today’s indictments represent a first major step in the criminal justice process," said County Prosecutor Timothy J. McGinty. "Our investigation continues, and we will present our findings to the grand jury."
Top 10 News Categories
The most buzzed about stars this minute!
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
More On People.com
Got a News Tip?
Send it to our People.com editors!