01:52 PM EDT 12/09/2013
Originally posted 12/05/2013 12:25PM
A day after admitting in court that she had used cocaine and marijuana in the past, Nigella Lawson said Thursday that she was embarrassed but wanted to come clean about the drug use.
"I would rather be honest, if ashamed, and explain the drug usage, but I wanted to make sure that I wasn't going to be bullied [with] lies," the celebrity chef, 53, said at the fraud trial of two former assistants, according to the Telegraph.
"I am not proud of the fact that I have taken drugs, but that does not make me a drug addict or a habitual drug user," she added.
Originally posted 12/04/2013 12:40PM
Nigella Lawson admitted to occasional drug use while testifying in the fraud trial against two former personal assistants in a West London courtroom Wednesday.
The celebrity chef, 53, said she had used cocaine a handful of times in her life, including when her late husband John Diamond was nearing the end of his life, as well in July 2010, when she said she was "subjected to intimate terrorism" by her now ex-husband Charles Saatchi.
She also admitted to smoking cannabis – at times, in front of her children – but denied being an addict.
Originally posted 12/04/2013 08:45AM
Celebrity chef Nigella Lawson, testifying Wednesday in a fraud trial against two former personal assistants who once worked for her and ex-husband Charles Saatchi, said on the stand that he was bent on destroying her after a restaurant argument earlier this year went viral.
"He said that if I didn't go back to him and clear his name he would destroy me," Nigella told Isleworth Crown Court in West London.
Lawson, 53, struggled to maintain her composure on the witness stand, noting she was reluctant to testify in a case where two former assistants have been charged with spending more than a million dollars on luxury goods on her husband's credit card, which they'd had access to for household purchases.
Originally posted 11/29/2013 04:55PM
On Friday, media mogul Charles Saatchi described himself as "utterly heartbroken" to have split from celebrity chef Nigella Lawson.
Speaking at the fraud trial of ex-employees Elisabetta "Lisa" Grillo and sister Francesca Grillo, Saatchi added that he still “adored" his ex-wife, whom he divorced in July, shortly after he was pictured with his hands around Lawson's throat at a London restaurant.
"I wish this last year had never happened," Saatchi told Isleworth Crown Court in West London. "If you think I am taking any pleasure from this situation then you are greatly mistaken."
Originally posted 11/28/2013 03:30PM
Two Italian sisters accused of stealing more than £685,000 ($1,119,000) from Nigella Lawson and media mogul Charles Saatchi claimed in a London court Thursday that they were "being treated worse than Filipino slaves" when asked to own up to their misdeeds.
Elisabetta "Lisa" Grillo, 41, "freaked" when she was asked to sign a "draconian" letter admitting she dishonestly used a Saatchi credit card for personal purchases, her lawyer said.
Grillo and her sister Francesca, 35 – both of whom were former personal assistants to Lawson and Saatchi – were open about their four-year spending spree, the court heard. But both sisters have pleaded not guilty to fraud charges.
Originally posted 11/27/2013 12:15PM
Has TV chef Nigella Lawson been abusing cocaine, cannabis and prescription pills for more than a decade?
That's what the The Taste judge's two assistants claimed Tuesday in a British court, in an explosive hearing that now seems to be targeting Lawson's character.
A U.K. rep for Lawson, 53, declined to discuss the new reports with PEOPLE, citing he "can't comment during live proceedings." But according to the U.K's Telegraph, the prosecutor on the case told the court, "This is a totally scurrilous account which has been raised by the defense."
Those who work with Lawson agree. Despite the recent accusations, ABC is moving forward with the second season of Lawson's reality show The Taste, which filmed in L.A. this past fall. "The show will air as planned beginning Jan. 2," a rep for the network said.
Originally posted 07/31/2013 10:10AM
Celebrity chef and author Nigella Lawson and her husband, global advertising executive and art collector Charles Saatchi, are officially divorced.
And it happened in record time – at a 70-second hearing Wednesday, according to the U.K.'s The Guardian.
The official end of their marriage comes just seven weeks after shocking photos were published of Saatchi with his hands around Lawson's neck as they apparently argued inside a London restaurant.
Originally posted 07/06/2013 09:50PM
Nigella Lawson's husband announced he's divorcing the celebrity chef, expressing disappointment she failed to publicly defend him during the fallout over their disturbing public fight.
Charles Saatchi, 70, a wealthy art collector and global ad agency co-founder, has been embroiled in a scandal since the publication of pictures showing him clutching her by the throat at a London restaurant on June 9.
"I am sorry to announce that Nigella Lawson and I are getting divorced," he said in a statement to The Mail newspaper in the UK.
Originally posted 06/29/2013 03:00PM
Nigella Lawson has made a sweet return to Twitter.
In her first post since June 15th, the day before shocking photos surfaced of her husband choking her at a London restaurant on June 9, the celebrity chef Tweeted an aww-inducing image of a seemingly homemade birthday cake bearing the words "Happy Birthday Bruno" written in icing.
Bruno is Lawson's son from her first marriage to the late John Diamond, a journalist, and the cake – complete with champagne bottle-shaped candles – apparently celebrates his 17th birthday.
Originally posted 06/18/2013 08:10AM
The husband of celebrity chef and author Nigella Lawson has accepted a police citation and admitted that he assaulted his wife after a public argument at a London restaurant on June 9.
Charles Saatchi, 70, was interviewed by British police for five hours about the fight, where he was seen with his hands around Lawson's neck in a row he first downplayed as merely a couple's tiff. Photographers outside the restaurant captured the images of the confrontation, which were published this weekend to great public outcry.
Saatchi received a formal police citation on Monday, called a caution, which means he admitted his actions. Had he not come clean, formal charges could have been brought, the U.K.'s Daily Telegraph reported Tuesday. The caution ends the matter with police.
Top 10 News Categories
The most buzzed about stars this minute!
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
More On People.com
Got a News Tip?
Send it to our People.com editors!