02:02 PM EDT 09/15/2014
Originally posted 06/20/2011 06:40PM
In the run-up to shooting Transformers: Dark of the Moon, Megan Fox told a British magazine that director Michael Bay "wants to be like Hitler on his sets" and that he's "a nightmare to work for."
A few months later, she got her walking papers. But it wasn't Bay who made the call, the director says.
"She was in a different world, on her BlackBerry. You gotta stay focused," Bay tells the July issue of GQ, on newsstands Tuesday. "And you know, the Hitler thing. Steven said, 'Fire her right now.' "
Originally posted 11/13/2010 02:30PM
It's been 25 years since Mikey, Mouth and the rest of The Goonies gang went on the ultimate onscreen treasure hunt, but the adventure may continue – in the form of a sequel.
Corey Feldman, who starred in the 1985 Warner Bros. box-office hit as Mouth, says that the original cast and crew, including executive producer and story writer Steven Spielberg, want to reunite on the big screen for part two.
"We [would] all like to see it happen," Feldman, 39, told the Hollywood Reporter, also admitting there are "stumbling blocks … no matter how much love there is."
Originally posted 01/27/2009 07:00AM
He may routinely save the world as James Bond, but Daniel Craig is stepping into his bad-guy uniform, to play the evil seaman Red Rackham in the upcoming Steven Spielberg screen adaptation of The Adventures of Tintin: Secret of the Unicorn.
The movie – in which Craig's Defiance costar Jamie Bell (best known as Billy Elliot in the 2000 film of the same name) plays the fearless young reporter Tintin – is already in production, in 3-D, say reports.
Due for release in 2011, this Tintin is expected to be the first in a screen trilogy. Lord of the Rings Oscar-winning director Peter Jackson is set to direct the sequel.
– Stephen M. Silverman
Originally posted 10/23/2008 10:00AM
While uncharacteristically mum about its choice for president, Hollywood's been highly vocal about another political issue – giving a loud "No" to Proposition 8.
And if those sentiments weren't clear enough, the concert by Melissa Etheridge and Mary J. Blige Tuesday night to fight Prop 8 raised $3.9 million.
The $1,000-a-head event was intended to help close the gap between the No on Prop 8 supporters, who have raised about $25 million, and the Yes on Prop 8 boosters, who have $27 million in their coffers, reports Variety.
Originally posted 09/23/2008 01:15PM
Steven Spielberg is the latest high-profile donor giving money to fight California's Proposition 8, the ballot initiative that would ban gay marriage in the state.
The director and his wife, Kate Capshaw, donated $100,000 to the No-on-8 campaign, the couple announced Tuesday.
"By writing discrimination into our state constitution, Proposition 8 seeks to eliminate the right of each and every citizen in our state to marry regardless of sexual orientation. Such discrimination has NO place in California's constitution, or any other," the couple said in a statement.
Brad Pitt gave the same amount last week to Californians Against Eliminating Basic Rights. Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger and Sen. Barack Obama are also on record against Proposition 8.
Since gay marriage became legal in California in May, many couples have already wed, including high profile stars like Ellen DeGeneres and Star Trek's George Takei.
– Emmet Sullivan
Originally posted 02/20/2008 09:50AM
Steven Spielberg's decision to withdraw from his position as an artistic director for this summer's Beijing Olympics over the country's policies in Darfur is drawing fire from China's state-controlled media and its public, reports the Associated Press.
While the Chinese government has not officially criticized the filmmaker, a front-page editorial Wednesday in the overseas edition of the People's Daily, the Communist Party's newspaper, says: "A certain Western director was very naive and made an unreasonable move toward the issue of the Beijing Olympics. This is perhaps because of his unique Hollywood characteristics."
Equally damning, China Youth Daily also editorialized: "This renowned film director is famous for his science fiction. But now it seems he lives in a world of science fiction and he can't distinguish a dream from reality."
There has not been a comment from Spielberg, 61, on these latest developments.
The Darfur conflict between rebels and militias backed by government forces has already claimed more than 200,000 people. China's influence is believed to extend to Sudanese leaders.
– Stephen M. Silverman
Originally posted 01/08/2008 06:45PM
Oscar-winning director Steven Spielberg will have to wait till January 2009 to pick up his latest honor.
Spielberg, 61, was set to receive the Cecil B. DeMille award at the Golden Globe Awards Jan. 13, but in the wake of the ceremony’s cancellation due to the Writers Guild of America strike, the Hollywood Foreign Press decided Tuesday that it would present the trophy to Spielberg at next year’s event rather than during the abbreviated press conference NBC will broadcast on Sunday, Variety reports.
Spielberg already has 11 Golden Globe nominations and two awards – for directing Saving Private Ryan and Schindler's List.
– Gerri Miller
Originally posted 01/02/2008 12:00PM
New dad Sacha Baron Cohen is taking his movie career more seriously in the new year – ditching his Borat character for a political role as 1960s Vietnam War protester Abbie Hoffman.
Baron Cohen is set to earn some $6 million for appearing in The Trial of the Chicago Seven, a project Steven Spielberg is developing for DreamWorks, London's Sunday Times reports.
Originally posted 10/04/2007 01:00PM
The Los Angeles County sherriff's department has arrested a man for selling stolen goods from Steven Spielberg's production office.
Originally posted 07/17/2006 07:00AM
Tom Cruise returned to Chicago – site of where he famously jumped on Oprah Winfrey's sofa to declare his love for Katie Holmes.
Top 10 News Categories
The most buzzed about stars this minute!
Treat Yourself! 4 Preview Issues
More On PEOPLE.com
Got a News Tip?
Send it to our People.com editors!