Clarence House said that Mark Shand, 62, died in the hospital Wednesday after falling late Tuesday, reportedly lighting a cigarette outside the Diamond Horseshoe nightclub at the Paramount Hotel on West 46th Street.
It said in a statement that Camilla, her husband Prince Charles and all of her family members are "utterly devastated by this sudden and tragic loss."
Shand, a travel writer, was in New York for an auction in aid of charities including the Elephant Family, an organization chaired by Shand devoted to saving the endangered Asian elephant.
Camilla and Charles are due to go on a tour of Canada next month.
Ian Nicholson / Getty